Saturday, May 27, 2006

THE LAWNMOWER RACER

After I wrote the last post today it reminded me of this poem AIP had written for Papa Bear last year. I wanted to tell you the story about it. Last year Papa Bear had an eventful day while mowing the grass along side the road. I wish he would tell it because he tells it so well. I knew he was outside mowing and didn't think much about it until I couldn't hear the mower anymore. So.. I went out to check it out thinking maybe it broke down or something, which usually happens to poor Papa Bear a lot. It seems there is always something he has to fix. And I thought maybe he could have tipped it over since we live down in a hollar and it is steep just about everywhere here with hills and all. Well ... I couldn't find him no where. I hollered for him but no answer so I began to worry. I was about ready to go out to search for him when I could hear him at the road talking to the neighbor and heard her laughing. He came walking down the drive and I waited for him at the house. When he came to the house he was so excited and out of breath he could hardly tell me the story.

It seems that he was at the top of a hill (BIG, BIG hill!) mowing the grass by the road, which is quite a ways from the house, when all of a sudden the brakes went out and he lost control of the lawnmower. He tried to coast it into our drive but it kept on going past our house and him yelling for me to help him the whole time. He said he didn't know that a riding mower could go that fast and that it scared him to death. He said he was going so fast his hair was blowing back by the wind. Which made me laugh so hard I could hardly stand it! He took a very long ride coasting all the way down the BIG hill and around a corner which he said the riding mower went up on two wheels as he went around the curve and down the road until the mower could go no more. He said when it slowed down enough he ran it into a ditch to stop it completely.

In the meantime, AIP had called before that and told me she was coming down, I can't remember what for, and she would be there shortly. That was before all of this happened. So... when she got there he told her the story and we all began to laugh at the thought of him on this mower going out of control down the hill. We really got a laugh when we got in the truck to go pick up the mower and found it about a mile down the road thinking it took that long before it came to a halt. He said the whole time he was yelling so loud and first he was yelling for me to help and then I don't know what he was yelling. I laugh everytime I think of this and just the thought of him going down the hill with his hair blown back yelling at the top of his lungs. It reminds me of a cartoon or something you would see.

So... Here is a poem that AIP wrote for Papa Bear when she got home that day and we all still get a laugh out of this. The poem goes like this......


The Lawnmower Racer

Will you be riding

Your lawnmower today?

Or is it in

Much disarray?

Did your brakes fail you

And eventually,

Land you

In a muck?

A speedy ride

You did not plan,

When you ran out of gas

You got in a jam.

You tried to coast it

All the way home

And when Reva looked out

You were gone.

You were like a kid

With a new go-cart,

The farther it went

The faster it got.

If you could not have planned it

If you had tried,

The scariest ride

Of your life.

Of course you know

What you have done,

You have found the hill

For the perfect run.

Poem written by AIP (Sandy)



We had a good laugh out of this and I still laugh to this day when I think about this. I am greatful however he wasn't hurt.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

That story still makes me laugh, no matter who tells it and I think you tell it pretty well.*LOL*

May 28, 2006 7:35 AM  
Blogger tomlaureld@yahoo.com said...

Amazing. Brian are you ok? I thought I heard someone yelling during that time frame. Next time carry a big bloke with a rope and anchor.

May 29, 2006 12:27 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

This is funny. I can picture it. Oh btw I love cookies.

May 29, 2006 5:03 PM  
Blogger SuzieG said...

*rolling on floor, laughing out loud!*

May 29, 2006 6:45 PM  
Blogger doubleknot said...

What a laugh that story gave me - I too can just picture him speeding down the hill yelling.
AIP is such a good poet.

June 11, 2006 5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home