Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Boy Scouts Spring Camporee

I just love to use these collages... the reason I like them so much is I can never decide which pictures to post that I have taken. This past weekend we went on a camping trip with Baby Bear's Boy Scout Troop. I have pictures here which I will tell you about from top left is boys gathered around campsite, Leader instructing Baby Bear and friend on hiking, Baby Bear waiting to shoot 22 rifle which he did excellent on, Baby Bear shooting rifle, Baby Bear canoeing, another of him canoeing, Baby Bear being silly, isn't that a sweet face!, Baby Bear instructed on how to make a foil wrap for his hamburger, playing corn hole with friends, campfire, troop singing their song, Baby Bear and Matthew at campfire, and the bottom ones are the same as the top I believe. So there you have it, some of my pictures of our trip.
Like I said we all went camping. We went to a big Lake in Kentucky not far from us and camped at a Sportsman's Club there. They were kind enough to let all of us Boy Scout troops use their facilities and let us set up camp on the property. They had all sorts of things to do.

There were 7 boys in our troop that went on this trip and then there were us parents. Our friend's Randy and Donna went also since their son, Brandon's best friend, Matthew is in Scouts too. Papa Bear, Baby Bear and I were the first one's to get there so we got pick of the field to set up our tents. So we set up camp with our tents close together and enjoyed a weekend with our kids and families. We had late night campfires and stayed up and talked and laughed and got up early in the morning and Papa Bear cooked breakfast. He is a great cook and this is one of his favorite things to do when we camp and one of my favorites! *VBS* I don't have to cook for a change, so I love it! Papa Bear cooks things like sausage and buscuits with gravy, scrambled eggs, and they had pancakes. Also one night the boys made their own meals and made foil packets with hamburgers and vegetables in them. They got to choose what they wanted to put in their foil packets that they made. We also had roasted marshmallows, hot dogs, smoked sausages, baked beans, potato salad, and one thing I had never heard of hibernating bananas. They were actually good too.

One day in the future the boys will have to set up camp and cook and every thing and we get to sit back and watch, it should be interesting. We laugh about it now when we talk about it. Papa Bear said he is bringing back up food until the boy's have learned how to cook. Tee Hee!

One thing I like about these camping events is on one night all of the troops get together with a big campfire and put on skits and sing songs. It is great fun and entertaining. Our boys sang a song and it was a hit. The skits are so funny too. It is great fun.

We spent the first night setting up camp and then woke early that morning and they ate breakfast, had a flag ceremony, then went hiking, shot rifles, canoeing, tomahawk throwing, fishing and more. By the time the day ended they were exhausted but had so much fun.

We really enjoy the boy scouts and have plans to stay in it for a long time. Our only regret is that we didn't do this with Brother Bear because he would have loved it. The thing is that we had never heard of Boy Scouts when Brother Bear was growing up. But we used to take him camping every weekend ourselves along with a friend or cousin. I beleive we have been to every state park in Kentucky camping. Even though Brother Bear wasn't in Boy Scouts we still hve a lot of good memories with him too, it just would have been nice to have been involved in Boy Scouts with him because he loved the outdoors so much. He did get to go on a 4-H camping trip for a week one time. I will never forget when I went to pick him up how excited he was that I had come to pick him up and he just hugged and hugged me. His friend on the other hand was at the age where he didn't want mom around it was embarrasing, you know how they get, but Brother Bear didn't care and I will never forget that he made me feel so good.

Well, I love the fact that I got to spend this time with Baby Bear and the fact that I have good memories with Brother Bear and I hope that they will always remember these times too. We love them so much and enjoy these times so much because they grow up so fast. So we will be keeping busy this year in Boy Scouts and enjoying camping and all the other things Boy Scouts do. Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I really love that collage too and I like that you can expand it a little and see the pictures better. You really took some good pictures.

So glad that you can do this as a family unit...not just sending him off by himself...I think this is much better. All of you can then have the memories together, and be able to laugh about the funny things that happened during your stay and witness the accomplishments of Baby Bear first hand.

I had to laugh out loud when you said Papa Bear was going to take "BACK UP FOOD." That's so funny...but I guess I would too, after all it will be their first time cooking for most of them.

I really enjoyed hearing about the Boy Scout Camporee.

May 25, 2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Finn sent this to me this morning and I'm sending it to you.

Knock, Knock

I knocked at heavens door this morning, God asked me...My child what can
I do for you? And I said, Father, please protect and bless the person
reading this message... God smiled and answered... Request granted.

May 26, 2006 12:11 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

I am so glad yall had such a great time camping. I do miss that, sorta... I like them there fancy flushers. What a blast it will be when the boys "do it all". Warning you must resist helping. lol

May 26, 2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger doubleknot said...

You are great parents to enjoy taking part in your son's life and sharing with him. I am sure you did just as good with the first one even without the Boy Scouts.

May 27, 2006 11:45 AM  
Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Thanks so much everyone for visiting and leaving such nice comments!

Mama Bear

May 27, 2006 9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home