Thursday, April 06, 2006

Playing around

This is a picture I took the other day after we planted tomato seeds of Baby Bear playing with a big bamboo stick. He loves sticks. He sometimes pretends they are soards. I really haven't been doing much since then, well.. I take that back. We went to a cub scout meeting Tuesday night and Papa Bear agreed to be the Cubscout Master Assistant. He was so excited about this and what the boys could do next year. They will be graduating to Boy Scouts . I hope they will get to do a lot more next year. They are planning several camping trips this spring and maybe one in the summer. Baby Bear sold flashlights to help pay for his costs. Now we just have to come up with Papa Bear's costs.

Brother Bear had moved in last Saturday but yesterday decided to go back to my mom and dad's to stay. That is his hometown and that is where he wants to stay so he left again. The main reason is his girlfriend lives there and they missed each other terribly. Young love, what can you do? We tried to persuade him to stay and go to college and get a part time job while he went to school.. but he said he could do that down there. He just seems so lost at times. I hope and pray that he does and it works out for him. I know he needs a lot of prayers right now and I worry so much about him. I will just leave it in God's hands.

We had some bad storms in Kentucky the other night, mostly in my mom and dad's area, we didn't get much. Mom called and they were at my neice's for dinner and said they had to run to her cellar because it got so bad and the sirens went off in town.... now that brings back bad memories. And that same night my MIL sent me an email to a blog that told about the tornado that I was in on April 3, 1974. I was about 10 years old. My parents had just bought a farm and we were there to meet a man that was going to haul cows for my dad to sell, I guess. It started storming real bad and we all were in the barn. We had a very beautiful two story older farm house that we just loved, we were excited about moving into. It had a sprial staircase and huge rooms, and a balcony that went all the way across the front of the house and a porch that surrounded most of the house. It had all kinds of beautiful things. Well.. back to the storm... it stormed so bad and then all of a sudden it got quiet, no birds, nothing. The next thing I knew mom was dragging me to the cellar and I was asking what was going on and "where is it?" "where is it?" I wanted to see a tornado in action I guess. Well... let me tell you I never ever want to see one or be around one again. That was horrible and it brings chills to me when I think about it. I always like to be near a cellar or basement or something when there is a storm now. My dad even got scared. Mom hit her head going into the cellar and it almost knocked her out. The cellar door came back and hit her. I won't go into detail about it but let me tell you it is something you wouldn't like. We were fortunate that on one in our family was hurt. We lost our house, barn everything in that tornado and dad and mom had to start from scratch. The place where we lived while waiting to move to the farm had been damaged too so we had to live with relatives for a while. It took forever to get out of there that night because of all the debris and trees. I remember going to the neighbors way down the road and for some reason we stayed there a while, I think because there was a big huge tree down in the road. I think we lost our vehicles too, I know we lost our car, it was turned over on a power line. The neighbor fed us ice cream and cookies . When we finally made it to my grandparents apartment in town.. later that night they had more threats of tornadoes. I will go into detail some other time about the damage and all.... but I always remember that date and what happened that stormy night. A night I will never forget. Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I like the picture of Brandon and we'll just have to put Papa Bear to work on something creative to help pay for his camping trip...Is it just a camping trip for Baby Bear & Papa Bear? Maybe Papa Bear can do some research for me on what my computer needs to make the blogs look colorful. When blogs are viewed by some computers they are somewhat plain and when viewed on other computers they are very colorful.

I haven't had any luck finding Cucoo, but I'm going to head for Underground Atlanta this afternoon...I got another sighting there and I'm going to check it out.

About Brother Bear...he's grown now and as parents we sometimes just have to let them make their own decisions, no matter how much it hurts us sometimes. At least you do know where brother Bear is going, which is nice.

Love you guys
Grandma Bear

April 06, 2006 12:50 PM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

They will do lots more in Boy Scouts. It may make your head spin.

April 06, 2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Finn said...

Hurray for assistant leader..*VBS* It will create memories for both of them!

Wow, that storm back when you were 10 was really something. I'm not sure we ever get over stuff like that...the really, really tramatic things that happen. Hugs for being safe, always ! Finn

April 07, 2006 12:21 PM  
Blogger doubleknot said...

Tornados scared the heck out of me. Something so strong that can wipe out every thing so quick.
I am glad no one in your family was hurt but starting all over again must have been hard.

April 08, 2006 5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home