Friday, June 09, 2006

Wildlife Happenings at our place

We have been spending a lot of time outdoors lately and here is some of the things we have encountered this week. First is one of our hummingbird feeders we put up and we love watching these sweet little birds it is a past time we really enjoy.

Below is a picture of our pond I took today that has fish nests. If you look closely you can see the holes they have made to lay their eggs. I have never seen this before and it was very interesting to me. Papa Bear said the blue gill lay their eggs in these nests that they build and the males come and fertilize the eggs.
This is sugar our little pregnant cat. She is so miserable. I am not sure when she will deliver, I thought it was after 6 weeks but it seems as if she has been pregnant longer than that. I know she will be glad to deliver. *VBS*
This is another thing we encountered today while Papa Bear was cleaning out a fire pit. A mother mouse and her babies. We moved them and let them go and hopefully they won't escape into the house! *VBS*


Also, the other day I heard this odd noise and looked everywhere and finally noticed this squirel up in a tree chattering excitedly. He jumped from tree to tree chattering. Papa Bear said he was upset and letting the cats know he could see them. I had never heard them chatter like this.

So needless to say, we have encountered a lot of different things out side this week. Probably more to come.

I finally got a call from Brother Bear too which I haven't heard from in a while. He seemed to be doing okay. I miss him so much and it was sure nice to hear his voice.

We have been doing the usual routines of going to football on Tuesday nights and By ScoutsThursday nights so we stay pretty busy with those. We are looking forward to our camp out next month with Boy Scouts. We are also very excited for AIP and her new Trike. Can't wait to go along on a ride with her and Jimmy! Posted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Wow, so many nature sightings...Well it's that time of year. The other day when I was out there I saw a tiny little grey squirrel who didn't really seem too awfully afraid of me as I walked towards it. He did move away, but not very fast.

The pond is teaming with life right now. I bet if you sat and watched you could see a curious turtle. The reason I call them curious is because if you sit there long enough they will get CURIOUS and pop their heads out of the mud.

I might Google the gestation of a kitty cat if I can remember to do it. Sugar looks so relaxed & cute laying there.

By the Way...that's a great underwater shot you got there. All your pictures are good, but I especially like the underwater scene. A hard picture to take out of water, because of the glare.

I practiced twice today and it's not as easy to ride as I thought it would be...but I'm going to keep trying. My bike is not really considered a trike even though it resembles one. I just call them training wheels (Voyager kit). Jimmy finally got the bike into the building...now to get it out will be another matter. He is going to make a bigger door and ramp.

Glad to hear from Brother Bear...that is always good news. He's a nice son to call and let you know he is ok. You know some kids don't ever call their parents...you are one of the lucky ones.

I really enjoyed your post.

June 09, 2006 11:07 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Google Said,

Gestation: Period of pregnancy. Cat pregnancy lasts between sixty-three and sixty-nine days.

June 09, 2006 11:35 PM  
Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Thank you AIP for the nice comments about my pictures. Also thank you for the information on the duration of pregnancy for a cat.

I hate to say it but Brother Bear didn't call me I called his girlfriend Jessica and he happened to be with her to see how he was. So I got to talk to him for a few minutes. I was missing him so much and worried about him so I called him. I was glad to hear he was doing okay.

June 09, 2006 11:49 PM  
Blogger The Four Bears in the Woods said...

Forgot to say also that we did spot a turtle the other day. There is so much going on out here right now it is fun to watch all the wildlife. Papa Bear was telling me tonight that he was at the pond and a dragonfly went by and a fish jumped up really high and got it. He said it was neat to see. We really enjoy being outside and watching all this.

June 09, 2006 11:51 PM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I don't think it really matter who calls who...the important thing is that you do get to talk to him. Of course mothers make more of an effort to call their children, but someday it will be reversed.

I also saw a turtle in your pond and that was neat about the dragon fly that papa bear saw get eaten by the leaping fish. I got to see a frog stick out his tongue and grab a fly last week too...boy was that fascinating to see.

I'm so glad that you live out there because you appreciate nature...I only wish it was flatter for mowing purposes.

June 10, 2006 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home