Tuesday, June 13, 2006

In Loving Memory of Our Shady Baby

Today started out a joyous occassion and ended on a very sad note. We came home from Baby Bear's football practice and were going to go to the garden to check on our tomato plants when we found our dear Shady Baby floating in the middle of our pond dead. He was such a precious cat. We called him Shady Baby because he was literally a baby. He was so sweet and loved to take in any kitten that came in and even though he was a male cat would let the kittens nurse him. All the other cats loved him and I know they will miss him. They were all crying tonight, that is what is left of our cats. Another cat, Smokie, seems to be missing also. We have already had another one of our cats leave (we are quite certain dead or taken away) about 8 months ago and now poor little Shady is gone. We can't for the life of us figure out what is happening to our cats but kind of have an ideal. They are male cats but never seem to roam very far from us and it seems that someone must have it out for us or our sweet cats because they seem to keep disappearing on us whenever we are gone. This time it was pretty certain that something bad happened to Shady because he was in the middle of the pond. I can't understand if someone is doing this why they would want to harm an innocent pet of someone's.
After we discovered the body, Papa Bear got him out of the pond and brought him up to clean him off and see if there were any marks on him but there were none that he could find. Then Papa Bear tried to dig a grave but with his back problems and the fact that he was so upset was unable to do it so Brother Bear dug the grave for us. We will be making a tombstone for his grave this week. I am sure Papa Bear will do this tomorrow.

We are so upset about this and hopefully the other one missing, Smokie, will come back to us tonight. We haven't seen him today and he never showed up to eat when I fed them tonight. We will surely miss Shady Baby because he was such a talker and would always follow us everywhere we went outside. When we would go to the other side of the garden he would follow and roll over wanting to be petted and talked to, and he in turn would talk to us. He was one of the three that we raised inside one winter and what kept us sane during that winter. We really had grown attached to these three kitties. Their mommy left us and we raised them ourselves. They were like our babies. Now we are not certain if we have any of the three left since Smokie is not around. The other cats were so upset tonight. So this post is a tribute to our Dear Shady Baby we will miss him terribly.
 Posted by Picasa

6 Comments:

Blogger Motherkitty said...

Sounds as if you have a first-class, low-down, sicko murderer lurking in your neighborhood.

I am very sorry for your losses. I also have an idea of who is doing this to your family, but how can you prove it? As a cat owner all my life, I have never known any cat that would get near a body of water voluntarily. I suspect that the cat was thrown into the water and drowned, or drowned and then thrown into the water.

Only a very sick person would harm an innocent pet, don't you think?

June 14, 2006 3:27 AM  
Blogger ... Paige said...

I am so sorry about this. {hugs} to all.
My first thought-Poision. Most likey something every one has around the house. The poision of favor for animal killers is AntiFreeze.
It could be he got a hold of a mouse/rat/critter that had been poisioned too.

June 14, 2006 8:21 AM  
Blogger Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

Shady Baby was my favorite cat...he always came up to greet me when I came over and allowed me to pet him. I am so upset to hear such heartbreaking news and like MotherKitty said, I think you have a cat murderer lurking around. Cats don't go near water and a dog attack would leave visible injuries and the cat would certainly not be floating in the middle of the pond...even if poisoned.

My Jybow is talking to me right now too and asking to go outdoors and I am feeling reluctant to let her out because of this news of Shady Baby. I cannot express to you the heartache that I am feeling right now.

We have visiting toms that come visit our fixed females and sometimes cause them injuries, but this is nature and how it works...God created them to act that way, so I don't intervene and I certainly don't kill the visiting tom cats.

You were away from the house for such a small amount of time while we all went to football practice. And now knowing what I know, I am feeling so guilty for feeling so happy while at the same time, Shady Baby was being killed.

I have no idea what happened to Shady Baby and I certainly hope that Smokey returns home
safely.

God Bless Shady Baby, for he was a very loving pet.

June 14, 2006 10:02 AM  
Blogger doubleknot said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Most people don't understand how a pet becomes part of the family and the loss is just as bad.
Hope no more of your kitties goes missing. Any one who would do that to a little creature is a heartless cruel person.

June 14, 2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger Alipurr said...

that is so sad....i know you will miss your baby kitty

June 15, 2006 3:28 AM  
Blogger Wystful1 said...

Oh my! Being that I'm a cat lover this just breaks my heart.

My heart felt sympathies. It's always so difficult to be a brave trooper when one of our family passes!!!

RIP Shady Baby

June 20, 2006 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home